How long do I have to collect a debt?
How long you have to collect a debt depends upon whether or not the agreement creating the debt is in writing or is simply an oral agreement. Under Florida law, you have five years to enforce an obligation founded on a written instrument.
You have four years to enforce an obligation founded on an agreement that is not in writing.
Now, that time frame begins to accrue when the cause of action arises, which is typically when the first payment was missed on the debt.
- If I hire an attorney, am I just spending good money after bad?
- Is an oral agreement to repay a loan enforceable?
- Once a judgment is secured by the creditor against the debtor in court, what steps
- What are the elements of fraud?
- What are the rights of a secured creditor?
- What assets of a debtor are exempt from execution under Florida law?
- What deadlines, if any, are associated with my case?
- What do I do if someone who owes me money files bankruptcy?
- What do I do if someone will not return property that belongs to me?
- What does interference with contractual relations mean?
- What does it mean to quiet title?
- What is a partition lawsuit?
- What is a secured creditor?
- What is a summary judgment?
- What is an automatic stay and is there a way around it?
- What is fraudulent inducement?
- What is specific performance?
- What is the statute of frauds?
- What is your approach?
- What makes working with you different than other lawyers?
- What would your past clients say about you?
- What would your past clients say about you? Legal Dispurt
- Who can ask for an accounting in a partnership or corporation?
- Why should I consider hiring you?
- Will I be paid if someone who owes me money files bankruptcy?
- Are there any procedures available to secure assets of a debtor before obtaining a judgment
- Can I be foreclosed upon for delinquent taxes?
- Can I recover my attorneys’ fees from the debtor?
- Does your firm collect in other states?
- How do you obtain relief from an automatic stay?
- How important is it that my attorney be a skilled negotiator?
- How long do I have to collect a debt?
- How long does it take to get a judgment against a debtor?